West Winning Wild CD 22 Race, Poll Shows

In rematch, Republican holds slight lead over Rep. Klein in 'referendum on the president'
By: Kenric Ward | Posted: October 21, 2010 4:05 AM
Ron Klein and Adam West -- Sunshine State News Poll
Republican Allen West narrowly leads U.S. Rep. Ron Klein in a bruising battle for South Florida's 22nd Congressional District, a new Sunshine State News Poll shows.

West leads Klein 47-44 in the survey of likely voters conducted Oct. 17-19. Nine percent of respondents are undecided.

West, a retired Army lieutenant colonel, lost by 10 points to Klein in 2008, a strong year for Democrats. But with Republicans surging this fall, West is picking up more independents, along with solid tea party support.

"West has to be the slight favorite here simply because of the turnout differential," said Jim Lee, president of Voter Survey Service, which conducted the poll for Sunshine State News.

Lee reported that West’s 3-point lead grows to 5 points among respondents who say their chances of voting are "excellent" (49-44) and 4 points among “2x” voters, or those who cast ballots in both the ’08 and ’06 general elections (48-44).

Both candidates are feeling the effects of harsh, negative advertising in the closely fought race. Klein has a 39/43 favorable/unfavorable rating while West has an almost identical 40/43 split.

Sunshine State News Poll Table -- Allen West-Ron Klein

The poll shows a polarized district, with West winning Republicans 78-14, and Klein winning Democrats by a nearly identical 78-13 margin.

"Clearly, this race will be a referendum on the president," Lee said. "Voters who approve of the job Obama is doing are voting for Klein 87-7, while those who disapprove of the president are voting for West 84-8.

"Since Obama’s overall job approval is inverted 52-43, we’d give the edge to West because the enthusiasm favors the GOP this year."

Still, Lee said the poll numbers do not rule out a Klein victory.

"Given how close this district is in voter registration, if Klein turns out a larger share of his base than West, he could still eek this out," Lee said.

Klein, a two-term congressman, has blanketed the airwaves with attack ads highlighting West's alleged personal financial problems and plastered pictures of West hanging out with a leather-clad motorcycle group.

West fired back, calling Klein a "mama's boy" for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. The campaign told Sunshine State News it will distribute pictures of the congressman consorting with the same bikers Klein brands "gangsters, thugs and criminals."

"In actuality, they're Vietnam veterans," said West spokesman Josh Grodin.

"Frankly, Klein doesn't have a message. He's just running from his record and attacking Allen West," Grodin said.

"We're not surprised by this poll," he added. "Our internal tracking shows similar numbers."

The Klein campaign did not respond to Sunshine State News' requests for comment.

In the race for campaign cash, West is also leading, according to Sept. 30 filings with the Federal Election Commission.

West had collected $5,167,340, with $1,629,395 cash on hand. In the past quarter, the Republican raised $1.6 million -- quadruple the amount he received during his entire 2008 campaign.

"Ninety-nine percent is coming from individual contributions, with an average donation of $75," Grodin noted.

Klein's report showed total collections of $3,155,349, with just $270,499 cash on hand.

Rick Wilson, a Republican campaign consultant, called the Klein-West contest "one of the biggest stories" of this political season.

"Ron Klein was just sitting back expecting to be re-elected to another term and West has overachieved," Wilson said.

CD 22, which stretches from Fort Lauderdale to Jupiter, leans Democratic in presidential election years, but tends to be more of a tossup during midterm elections when turnouts are lower. Republican Rep. Clay Shaw represented the district for 26 years before he was ousted by Klein in 2006.

The Sunshine State News Poll, which surveyed 800 likely voters, has a margin of error of +/- 3.46 percent.

For a look at the poll's crosstabs, click the link below.

Contact Kenric Ward at kward@sunshinestatenews.com or at (772) 801-5341
Attachments:

evan white
6:15PM OCT 31ST 2012
This nation needs more people like West!
mazar
8:24PM APR 18TH 2012
mazar
8:32PM APR 18TH 2012
Gov. Rick Scott is upside down in the poll with 34 percent approving of his performance in Tallahassee while 54 percent disapprove of it. Obama-Biden take 51 percent while a Romney-Scott ticket follows with 40 percent.
West Loop Boot Camp
6:59AM JAN 26TH 2012
The time has come to return to Liberty City,
and a hell of a lot has changed since you last visited.
bravo
7:32AM JAN 31ST 2012
I've had enough. Many loyal readers. Many of the comments. Also many compliments. Also very successful. I need a break! Yes, I am closing Harmony Nature for a well deserved Christmas break
Johnson
7:13AM JAN 24TH 2012
Its gone with the wind, now wait for the next poll, hope things change for better. Think Wisely before choosing next cabinet, future of country depends on it.
margono
3:44AM MAY 10TH 2012
this info is very good for me.
This site is awesome. My spouse and i constantly come across a new challenge & diverse in this article.
DaisyJRT
2:09PM JAN 22ND 2012
although it's kinda getting boring. Like having Cloud (hahaha, he speaks Asbel! =D)
greatbuddyz
5:16PM NOV 5TH 2011
I have been searching for this quality blogs regarding this niche. Searching in Yahoo drove me here merry christmas greetings I just found this kind of satisfactory readings i was looking for. I must bookmark this website to avoid missing it again. christmas cards
randomma
6:08PM NOV 4TH 2011
Random Matters - We are providing you useful articles and discussing random things.

Gable Quotes - Various quotes from Dan Gable "I shoot in, I get 2 points. He shoots in, I get 2 points"
Definition of inevitable - unable to be avoided, evaded, or escaped; certain;necessary: an inevitable conclusion.
hematoma cure – Hematomas on the skin (bruises) and also soft tissue are usually cured with RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation)
We are offering high efficiency solar cells with industry leading costs with the reliability and performance of traditional crystalline solar modules.
symptoms of herpes. The very first way you realize when you have genital herpes is from the features which will appear.
Handmade laptop? Learn what is needed to build and create your own laptop computer from scratch.
Find out what should you with the customer’s credit card do if credit card scanner tells you to credit card confiscated
This article provide decision tree analysis, advantages of decision tree and step by step how to make a decision tree.
What does shingles pain like? what is shingles and how it happen? Find out at random-matters.com
Is organic Food Good for You? Is it really healthy than conventional food? Find out the answer at random-matters.com
Learn how to eliminate diarrhea. We will tell you what you must do when you have diarrhea, such as prevent dehydration and foods to avoid.
methods to repair blue screen of death, list of BSOD error codes and why Blue Screen of Death can happen.
What is biceps tenodesis Definition. A Biceps tenodesis is a procedure that cuts the attachment of the biceps tendon on the and reattaches it to the humerus.
Jim
12:21PM NOV 1ST 2011
A classy article enlightening us on some important news. I'll keep updated on here to stay up to date on this subject. Thanks for your advice on this topic.
transfer money to spain
robin
6:54AM OCT 30TH 2011
a larger share of his base than West, he could still eek this out," Lee said.Digital Marketing Agency
robin
12:45AM OCT 30TH 2011
Thanks for the information. This is a wonderful post!!medical billing and coding certification
Herver Fox
8:33AM OCT 17TH 2011
Great post and thanks for sharing this information.

regulated broker
brautkleider günstig
9:28PM OCT 11TH 2011
Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.
You have done a marvelous job! and I wonder how you got so good.
This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can get into.
One thing I just want to say is that your Blog is so perfect! white-moment.
jack
2:02AM SEP 28TH 2011
I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
Courseworks Assignment writing
jack
2:02AM SEP 28TH 2011
I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!
Thesis Writing Admission Essays
daveinboca
12:59PM NOV 1ST 2010
West is a positive force in Florida politics while Ron Klein is barely above despicable in his endless run of ads trying character-assassination rather than ONCE mentioning his own votes for ObamaCare and all the other unpopular Obama programs. Obama himself came down to support Klein in person, but we all know that that will probably work against the machine-cog Klein.

Go, Col. West!
DAVE
10:55AM NOV 2ND 2010
You are totally insane. Why is West qualified to run ? I surely don't know. His background makes him well-suited to work for defense contractors. You and I would make better candidates than West. West is on the lunatic fringe of politics and must be stopped!
David Shapiro
3:37PM OCT 31ST 2010
Have you Klein supporters seen any of his television ads??? Endless negative character assassination and personal attacks directed at West! Klein is the incumbent, and as such, he SHOULD be trumpeting, loudly and often, WHAT EXACTLY, he has accomplished during his tenure. Not a word about that! The reason why? The slate is blank......zero accomplishments! And so, he goes on the attack against his opponent, engaging in exactly the kind of vicious negative campaign which has turned off a thoroughly disgusted electorate. 2010 should be a watershed year, in which that electorate sends a message to political hacks like Klein that such tactics will backfire.
Ryan Smith
11:27PM OCT 31ST 2010
LTC West was my battalion commaner in Iraq in 2003. I've never had the pleasure to serve under a greater leader. His action in Iraq may very well have saved my life and lives of some of my buddies. He told our families he would do everything he could to bring us home... and he did. He was a man of his word. Not a day goes by that I don't remember all he did to make sure I came home. If it weren't for LTC West, I may not be here...

LTC West said, "If it means saving the lives of my soldiers, I'd go through h$ll with a gasoline can in my hands"....

He truly was the epitomy of a true leader. I would follow him anywhere. Ask ANYONE who ever served with him as well, and they'll tell you exactly the same thing.

America needs more men like Allen West.

SGT Ryan Smith
US ARMY 2002-2007
B BTRY, 2/20 FA, 4th ID
Taji, Iraq 2003-04
Q-West/Baghdad, Iraq 2005-06
Wabbit
6:09PM MAY 31ST 2011
This is precisely why millions of Americans are begging him to consider running for the presidential elections. Nobody cares if he doesn't know the political formalities of the White House. We want the strong, insistent, moral, honorable leader that he is, to sit in that oval office and hear the voice of the people before this country finishes flushing. God bless you and all of your men, & THANK YOU SIR for your service and sacrifice. Regardless of what the media says, AMERICANS LOVE & APPRECIATE YOU 100%
7:18AM NOV 3RD 2010
Sarge, I'm with you. I gave all I could afford to his campaign and asked my friends to do likewise. I did a tour in Nam as an artillery FO so I know how important a good commander is. Best wishes. JK
Tim Chandler
7:30PM NOV 2ND 2010
Thanks for your service, SGT! I was a SGT E-5 long ago and far away, and I too am impressed with LTC West - I've contributed to his campaign in '08 and this one too - and now it looks like he's going to win! He's the kind of leader we need now for our Country. All the best to you, and to him!
shanecomeback
11:19AM OCT 30TH 2010
WEST/JINDAL 2012!
GO WEST, AMERICA!
shanecomeback
11:19AM OCT 30TH 2010
WEST/JINDAL 2012!
GO WEST, AMERICA!
Mpup
6:12PM OCT 24TH 2010
Whether you are"liberal" or "conservative", you can be assured that Allen West will represent you with honor and dignity. He is a leader and a uniter. As a voter if you haven't already made up your mind, you must consider that Klein will rubber stamp the owebamma tax and tax agenda. See H.R. 4646 with dhimmicrats hoping to pass this in the lame duck session. Allen West will represent ALL his constituents with honesty and integrity. There really is no other choice...... unless you want a socialist nation.
Uncle Mike
12:53PM OCT 22ND 2010
Listened to Colonel West speak the other evening. The man is extremely intelligent, highly versed in geopolitical issues and history and is in favor of responsible small government and lower taxes. He never once made personal attacks or comments against Ron Klein and held the high ground.

I was undecided on who to vote for and have listened to both candidates. It is my belief that West will legislate fairly and not just fall into the political line.

He now has my vote.
Derek
12:24AM OCT 22ND 2010
Strange how they keep telling us it is a statistical dead heat. If one just samples the ratio of bumper stickers (admittedly unscientific), you can't help but notice there are none(zero) Klein bumper stickers to be seen. On the other hand West bumper stickers are EVERYWHERE. Seems the left isn't very excited about their guy. Funny how the dems will vote for Klein but don't really want to advertise there willful stupidity and mindless allegiance to Obama and Nancy Pelosi
Folks...If you keep voting for doubletalking lawyers you will continue to get the government you deserve.
West by a landslide!
MAKATAK
1:32PM OCT 21ST 2010
It really cracks me up some of these "scare" comments made about LTC Al West (ret.). He was on the staff as an exchange officer from XVIII Airborne Corps Artillery at II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune back in '01/'02 timeframe. I worked with him daily and considered him then (and now) to be an outstanding officer, very knowledgeable in his trade, and an excellent speaker. There was certainly no evidence of "violent temper" or some of the other bats*#!-crazy stuff I've seen here.

I imagine the financial issues that have come up were probably related to his being deployed, then retiring without having the opportunity to prepare (usually about a 1-yr process), then teaching (which doesn't pay squat), and then going back to Afghanistan as a civilian. With all that change going on in your life, some responsibilities will drop through the cracks. For those who say that shouldn't matter, you would have to go through the experience to understand it. I would serve with Al West anywhere and if you have the opportunity to vote for him, please do so. You will not be disappointed. GO WEST!
Ryan Smith
11:25PM OCT 31ST 2010

America needs more men like Allen West.

SGT Ryan Smith
US ARMY 2002-2007
B BTRY, 2/20 FA, 4th ID
Taji, Iraq 2003-04
Q-West/Baghdad, Iraq 2005-06
Jim Fraser
3:40PM OCT 21ST 2010
I like Allen West but live in the Fl-24 so I voted for Sandy Adams. The comments that say Allen West is in it for himself blah blah blah I say this.

Will Allen West vote to repeal the Obamacare boondoggle. I believe so. Will Allen West support more so-called stimulus boondoggle spending. I believe he will not.

And that right there is all the reason you need to vote for Allen West.

Lastly, I believe Allen West will be an Asset in Congress. I could be wrong but right now that is what I believe.

Go West!!!!
945call
2:03PM OCT 21ST 2010
Good comment. In the past I supported West less than I oppossed Klein. I wrote a couple of notes to Klein where I called him a mama's boy. There's a part of me that likes to think that's where Col West got the line. I saw them debate in the Palm Beach last weekend and thought West won hands down and by the positive response he got from the audience, if the final vote had been taken there, he would have won by 20 points.
Blue
1:01PM OCT 21ST 2010
Gee, Ron Klein and his dragon lady wife are RAAAAAAACISTS!!
David
10:51AM OCT 21ST 2010
You people - wow; take a deep breath. West is not a very good candidate and the fact that he is so competitive in this district simply demonstrates the depth of rejection of the incumbents and the whole Democrat-party approach on many issues. And the notion of one of you commenters that keeping the Bush tax cuts is costing "us" $4 trillion is absurd. It's not "our" money in the first place. It's not like it would be difficult to find places to cut spending - the problem is that there are so many egregious situations you might not know where to start. Social Security/Medicare is a freight train about to run over us - are we going to do anything about it or just play politics? The defense budget has grown far too fast and could be cut significantly while keeping our country strong and protected, by focusing on our military's appropriate missions.

The point here is to elect people who care about meaningfully addressing these problems, as opposed to advancing their personal interests/agendas and those of the national political parties - which are in many/most cases ANATHEMA to those of the average American.
Elmo
10:35AM OCT 21ST 2010
Can any of you West supporters tell me what West is going to cut since he wants to extend all of Bush's tax cuts which will cost a minimum of $4 trillion dollars just for ten years?
Gary
2:43PM OCT 21ST 2010
Elmo - Only a liberal assumes wealth created in the private sector immediately belongs to the government. A tax cut for citizens does not translate to an under funded government. Allowing me to keep more of what is mine (i.e. what I'VE earned) is not doing me a favor. You're basically saying that a government that doesn't take all I have is therefore my benefactor. Your logic is twisted and would not stand up to the slightest bit of critical thinking. You MUST be a college grad. It takes a high IQ to ignore the obvious and sustain existence in the theoretical.
ouldbollix
3:04PM OCT 21ST 2010
ZIIIINNNGGGG, POWWWW....
Petey Kay
6:45AM OCT 21ST 2010
Were I in FL-22 I'd vote for Allen West as a vote to stop the Obama Administration in its tracks.
WEST IS AWFUL
5:13AM OCT 21ST 2010
ALLEN WEST IS A VIOLENT AND RADICAL IDEOLOGUE.

He has a track record of a violent temper and irrational behavior.

Please don't let him embarrass our community.

In contrast, Ron Klein has served our community for two decades -- at the State and Federal level. He is a hardworking, honest, moderate Representative.

Don't let Allen West fool you. He does not care about you. He cares about his own ego and $$$.
Flagrante Delicto
2:59PM OCT 25TH 2010
Klein, a moderate representative? What, do you mean he has "moderately" voted the Pelosi/Reid Democrat line 98% of the time? Klein is not only a career Democrat politician and Pelosi momma's boy, now he is hiding behind Debbie Wash-Yer-Balls Schmutz's skirt. Klein is a wussy who can't debate West in the public arena without getting his ass handed to him.
stormyweather
12:57PM OCT 21ST 2010
Ron Klien is Nancy Pelosi in a business suit. We the people have had enough of Marxist, anti-american parties that filthy losers like Ron Klien represent. Support Alan West, a proven leader under fire.
Marty Jones
11:57AM OCT 21ST 2010
What? Ron Klein is a moderate? Name one vote where he has strayed from his party's leadership. You can't because he has never strayed from his radically left wing views. And Allen West is not a violent ideologue. He is a war hero who fired his sidearm at the ground near a terrorist to motivate the guy into giving up information on a planned insurgent attack on some of Colonel West's men. He risked and lost his military career to protect the young kids under his command. He is ten times the man Ron Klein will ever be.
Joe
8:46AM OCT 21ST 2010
I supported Klein the last two elections, becuase he said he was a moderate. He has voted 100% with Nancy Pelosi and now he is going to lose. It is called a representative democracy for a reason. If you stop representing youe constituents, they get to vote for someone else.

If this seat goes, the Republicans are looking at 75 seat pickup minimum. This wasn't even on the radar.
Rusty Gears
6:40AM OCT 21ST 2010
Go West is the Battle cry!! Irrational behavior is a plus for Washington, just check out the democrats there...Klein didnt care enough to even put an effort into a race he thought was his...nope....There are a whole bunch of Republicans thats going to dance in the streets on election day...I will be one....Vote for West??? You Betcha!!!
Johnathon
3:35AM OCT 21ST 2010
Allen West simply runs soundbites, without giving proper answers and explanations. As a medaled veteran, even I believe he over plays his military service card- fact is, it doesn't excuse breaking the law or lacking proper understanding of the job. West is the better speaker and certainly more "colorful" character, but this is only a device he uses to diguise his lacking efficency and competence.
Congressman Klein is unpopular because he refuses to mask reality in false optmism, and is a realist with a healthy dose of pessimism for the current state of national politics. I fully support congressman Klein.
evan white
5:58PM OCT 31ST 2012
If only all our candidates could be as honorable as Allen West! He's the kind of man that one follows into whatever kind of hell, and know he's got your back!

ALLEN WEST!!!!
Michelle
8:23PM OCT 29TH 2010
Johnathon..... Shame on you!!!! As a spouse of a retired disabled vet your dispicable comments about Allen West make me want to puke. You say you are a medaled veteran, I asked medaled in what BS??? You of all people should know the sacrifices military personnel and their families make. How pathetic and disgraceful of you to accuse Allen of breaking the law and not understanding his job. Allen was well aware of the choices he made on the battlefield.... The choices of a real American Hero and that of a real man. And I dont know how many years you served or even if you have a family, but how clearly I can remember the 14 moves we endured over a 20 year career and how typical it is for your pay to get messed up during a transfer. Paying bills during a transfer can become difficult. You ought to hang your head in shame Jonathon and thank god that we have good honest , law abiding god fearing real men like Allen West that truly love their country!!!!!!
stormyweather
1:04PM OCT 21ST 2010
Jona-what "medal" did you win? In my military, Alan West would be regarded as a hero. As a matter of fact, most all of his men who served under him came to his defense. He understood the situation and took the NECESSARY action to save thelives of those he served with. If your view that what West did was wrong, the only army you must have served in was the Red Army. Most vets I know agreed with Col Wests actions and many of them would have taken similair actions.
evan white
6:05PM OCT 31ST 2012
True. He was stoutly defended by his men for his actions. And Congress men Hunter and McHugh contended West’s actions “were necessary to protect the lives and safety of his men” , which he reported immediately to his superiors. (unlike Obama who would have lied and tried to hide it......). Then, soon after, West also was defended by Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Sen. John Warner, R-Va., and a subcommittee chairman, Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla.

Inhofe told Brownlee, who was appearing before the panel, it would send the wrong signal “if we end up punishing someone for saving men in his command. … He should be commended.”

ALLEN WEST!!!!!

I'd rather be in a foxhole with than you, Jona.