Supporters of Ben Carson, Andrew Napolitano Run Draft Efforts for 2016

By: Kevin Derby | Posted: December 5, 2013 3:55 AM
Andrew Napolitano and Ben Carson

Andrew Napolitano and Ben Carson

With polls showing Republicans lacking a front-runner for their presidential nomination in 2016, in recent days draft efforts have claimed momentum for two political outsiders -- Judge Andrew Napolitano and physician Dr. Ben Carson.

Last weekend, Larry Hunter from the"'Draft Andrew Napolitano For President" committee insisted the effort he helps lead was making progress.

“We are focused on convincing the judge the support is there to make a run,” Hunter emailed supporters. “And the numbers are making the case. We added 100,000 fans on Facebook in just the last three months – taking us from 30,000 to more than 130,000. That’s quite an influx of support.”

Hunter is aiming high, looking to get 1 million supporters by the elections in November.

“We have almost 200,000 signatures on a petition to get the judge to enter the race,” Hunter insisted. “The movement is going viral. People are fed up with the status quo, with the failure among the current crop of would-be candidates to explain conservative ideas in a way that resonates with the American people.”

Hunter insisted Napolitano has the right credentials as a candidate and to sit in the Oval Office. “He has been a judge, a TV commentator, a journalist and a leading spokesman for adherence to the Constitution, limited government and smart policies on key issues such as immigration, taxes and the economy,” Hunter wrote. “He makes sense as a candidate because he makes sense as a person. People listen to him and like him, and he has the right views to save our country from the horrific malaise in which it now finds itself.

“But he is not a run-of-the-mill politician,” Hunter added. “He does not hold one office and look longingly and constantly for another.”

Supporters of drafting Carson -- who became a national figure with his opposition to President Barack Obama’s federal health-care law -- to run for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016 are claiming momentum. John Phillip Sousa IV, great-grandson and namesake of the celebrated composer of patriotic marches, is leading the national "Draft Ben Carson for President" committee and sent an email out to conservatives this weekend to make the case for his candidate, noting that “more than 200,000 Americans ... have signed the petition urging Dr. Ben Carson to run for president of the United States.”

Sousa praised Carson for attacking Obama’s federal health-care law at the National Prayer Breakfast back in March.

“At that moment, Dr. Carson captured the imagination of the American people,” Sousa insisted. “He became an instant front-runner for the Republican nomination for president in 2016.

“Ben Carson will win,” Sousa added. “As president he will heal America and unite us as one people working together to achieve the American dream. Ben Carson is a tea party conservative. He has supported the tea party since it began and he has practical, common-sense solutions to the problems that plague our land.”

Sousa argued that Carson, as an African-American, can win over black voters and keep conservatives in the Republican column, and can beat the Democratic nominee in 2016.

U.S. Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., has already expressed interest in running for the Republican nomination in 2016. Other potential Republican candidates include former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton, Gov. Jan Brewer of Arizona, former U.S. Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass., former Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida, Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey, U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, former Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas, Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, Gov. John Kasich of Ohio, U.S. Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, former Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska, U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., Gov. Rick Perry of Texas, U.S. Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin and former U.S. Rep. Allen West, R-Fla.

Reach Kevin Derby at kderby@sunshinestatenews.com.

Cindy Lalas
4:03AM DEC 10TH 2013
I did not read the story, but, I want Dr. Carson to run for President. I am a 67 year old white woman who believes Dr. Carson is THE person who can save my country. He is intelligent, humble, soft spoken, honest and charismatic. Please, Ben, we need you!
Cindy Lalas
4:03AM DEC 10TH 2013
Freedom_is_love
8:23AM DEC 6TH 2013
As much as I liked Mike Huckabee, once he admitted that he had supported CC Standards, that was it for me. Christie is very much the same as supporting CC. As taxpayers, we don't need the Fed Gov.t involved in our individual states public school curriculum run by execs. who are NOT qualified to dictate what our children are learning in Schools. This CC provides the children with an immoral and frustrating approach to learning (a.k.a. brainwashing techniques, Gov.t control). People really should have been awake and this is why our country is in the worst condition ever. The folks vote blindly not understanding how much this negatively impacts our own pockets. Then when something as ACA is passed with no knowledge, no awareness on the negative implications from this law and mostly how it impacts the ones who cannot afford it, then the red flag is raised. Don't forget all the Executive Orders that were passed without anyone being able to have a say. This is what our Gov.t is now and it's unfortunate that the majority is suffering. We need "true" ""genuine" leaders who don't hide behind a label, someone who is a doer for the good of the people of this Country! God Bless America!
johnny
9:22PM DEC 5TH 2013
God is NOT a politician !!!! Niether Democrats, nor Republicans can not match God!!!! Paul Ryan favors for the rich ??? Jesus Christ, son living of God, Jesus Christ said it is hard for a rich man enter Heaven. If rich man can help for the needy, sick, poor that God will be gladly to hear. God is very HONEST!!!!! In fact, I have no judge the people. Dr. Carson is NOT a God. Dr. Carson is not INTO God's mind period !!!!!!
Kayla Rosencutter-Jones
7:39PM DEC 5TH 2013
I really like the Judge and Dr. Carson, but I have my hopes on a Rand Paul/Ted Cruz combo for 2016. I'm not say the Judge and the Dr wouldn't make a good team. I think this country needs Judge Nap as our Attorney General and believe me Ben should definitely have a place to work in our Government.
Madeline Raia
7:27PM DEC 5TH 2013
Great Idea, I want American Back, and they can do it.
Carol Burns
6:03PM DEC 5TH 2013
I believe a Rand Paul/Ron Paul would be an excellent running mates and would love to se it!!!
Les farnsworth
2:50PM DEC 5TH 2013
Judge napolitono,and dr. ben carson, would be a gift from heaven!
Ronald A Painter
1:37PM DEC 5TH 2013
I feel blessed that we have such a wonderful field of conservative Republicans considering running for the Presidency of the United States. As wonderful as any one of these potential candidates would be I fear we are truely one election away from completing President Obama's dream to "transform America". We have to win this election or we may never be able to restore American to the Republic it was meant to be. As much as I admire and respect all these candidates, except Chris Christie, I beleave logically and for many reasons, Dr. Ben Carson can and will be the next President of the United States.
Since I have "dogged" Governor Christie, I own him an explantion for my disapproval of him as a potential Presidential candidate. He sold out the Country for what he precieved to be best for his State. His short sightedness did not just hurt the Country but will hurt New Jersey as well in the long run. All ships go down in a falling tide. Did he truely not beleave a Republican President would have done as much or more for New Jersey than Pres. Obama has done? As talented as Gov. Christie is he does not stand out amongst the other candidates except in his divisiveness of our party. He is not the glue that binds in our party or across party lines. With all my heart I wish Gov. Christie and the Great State of New Jersey well but he is definately not the answer to our National Republican prayers!
I hope and pray all Americans will take a hard look at Dr. Carson, see what I see in this man and support and encourage him to be the next Republican Presidential Candidate and the next President of The United States.
Patti Olenik
3:54PM DEC 5TH 2013
I also agree we need Dr. Ben Carson as our next President. It will take a special person to heal our land and Ben Carson is that man! He is a man of integrity and also a man who loves God and country! I believe he would do all he possibly could in restoring America and do what is best for the people!!
Patti Olenik
3:54PM DEC 5TH 2013
Les farnsworth
2:55PM DEC 5TH 2013
I do to !
David Dukes
1:17PM DEC 5TH 2013
That's pretty much a dream team that I would definitely vote for. There is no trash to throw on either...they're both constitutionalist liberty lovers, The Judge could repeal NDAA, Patriot Act, HR347 etc...and Dr Carson could fix the healthcare system. And NOBODY messes with the Judge! In other words...it aint gonna happen because people are too stupid today.
Claire Rock
12:12PM DEC 5TH 2013
I believe very much in A.Napolitano, Jan Brewer,Dr.Ben Carson,for the White House, but not as Rep. or Dem. We need to clean out both these parties.
Phyllis Stevens
10:34AM DEC 5TH 2013
If any of named people were to be President, and another on VP, and all the rest work in the WH. Boy, this America would be a great place to live. Back like it once was.
LAURA SUMMERSON
10:26AM DEC 5TH 2013
I LIKE BOTH OF THEM
Darlene Johnson
10:05AM DEC 5TH 2013
Yes! The Judge Or Dr. Ben Carson Would Make A Great Great President! And I Also Love Mike Huckabee. Or Ted Cruz! The United States Would Be Like It Used To Be Or Maybe Even Better With Any One Of Those Four For President.Air It On Fox News And You Will Get ALL The Signatures You Need To Make This Happen. Please Let's Do This NOW!!! We The People Need This So Bad! Let's Get This Done Americans!!!
RepublicanConscience
6:29AM DEC 5TH 2013
These are the best two candidates. They don't have baggage, they are both nationally known and they are both beyond just capable they are extraordinary. They should team up and run independent. The country is currently fed up with both parties, one more than the other, but we could and should do better.