Bill Nelson and Marco Rubio Soar in Florida, Barack Obama Crashes

By: Kevin Derby | Posted: July 24, 2014 12:00 PM
Marco Rubio, Barack Obama, Bill Nelson

Marco Rubio, Barack Obama, Bill Nelson

A new poll shows President Barack Obama continues to sink in Florida despite carrying the state in 2008 and 2012, something that could factor into November’s elections, as he loses independent voters.

A poll from Quinnipiac University released Thursday shows a majority -- 52 percent -- of those surveyed disapprove of Obama’s performance in office while 44 percent approve of the job he has done. In a Quinnipiac poll released May 1, 50 percent of Florida voters disapproved of Obama’s job performance while 46 percent approved of it.

Obama has kept the Democratic base, with 84 percent of his party approving of his performance while 13 percent disapprove. Republicans continue to break against Obama with only 7 percent approving of his job performance; 92 percent disapprove. According to the poll, Obama has lost independents in Florida with 54 percent disapproving of his job performance and 40 percent approving.

The poll shows a major gender gap in Florida over Obama. A majority of Florida men -- 59 percent -- disapprove of the job Obama’s done while 38 percent approve of it. Women are more divided, with 49 percent approving of Obama’s work in the White House; 46 percent disapprove of it

Florida’s two U.S. senators -- Democrat Bill Nelson and Republican Marco Rubio -- are in much better shape in the poll. Rubio can run for a second term in 2016 while Nelson does not face voters again until 2018, when he can run for a fourth term.

Nelson wins the approval of 45 percent of those surveyed while 32 percent disapprove of him. A majority of Democrats -- 58 percent -- approve of Nelson; 16 percent disapprove of the only member of their party holding statewide office. More than a third of Republicans -- 34 percent -- approve of Nelson; less than half -- 47 percent -- disapprove of him. Almost half of independents -- 48 percent -- approve of Nelson while 31 percent disapprove of him.

Rubio gets the approval of almost half of Florida voters -- 49 percent -- while 37 percent disapprove of their junior senator. Republicans are strongly behind Rubio with 82 percent approving of him and 10 percent disapproving. Less than a quarter -- 24 percent -- of Democrats approve of Rubio; 58 percent disapprove of him. Rubio does well with independents with 48 percent approving of him and 31 percent disapproving.

The poll of 1,251 registered Florida voters was taken July 17-21 and had a margin of error of +/- 2.8 percent.

Reach Kevin Derby at kderby@sunshinstatenews.com.

H.E. "Pete" Ashley
11:11AM JUL 27TH 2014
I have not a clue as to what Obama or Nelson's approval would be based on and I have a couple of questions for Rubio about amnesty.
Walker
11:59AM JUL 25TH 2014
Trust me, this is a distorted poll. Rubio is no longer popular with the majority of Floridians. If he wins re-election, I will be shocked! I don't know anyone who continues to support him.
And the Hispanics (the few who still support him) will likely be turned off by his VERY RECENT turn around to be against amnesty . .. after supporting it once he got to Washington.
Hugh Yonn
7:40AM JUL 25TH 2014
If you can still vote, know who and what you're voting for. In my lifetime, I have seen folks who 'serve' for decades. They ARE the problem. Get those lunatics out of our legislatures...

And for those who refuse to vote, "My vote doesn't count," kindly remember Eric Cantor. A true 'power punk' who was 'shown the door.' It CAN be done...please VOTE...
Roy Sessions
1:51AM JUL 25TH 2014
Where does that leave *Obama Lover* Charlie Crist ....a rock and a hard spot ...lol ???? Couldn't happen to a better Opportunist.
Robin Gillespie
7:40PM JUL 24TH 2014
I have voted for Bill Nelson as long as I can even remember. Now I think it's time for him to go. He has done nothing to stop Obama's excessive spending, vacations and refusal to actually do his job as an America President! Where are you when we need you most?
Mark
8:17AM JUL 25TH 2014
Robin,
How can you possibly claim "and refusal to actually do his job as an America President! Where are you when we need you most?"? I don't believe he's refused to do the job, however, when you have idiots (on both sides of the aisle) in Congress who prefer battling rather than settling issues, and who control the budget and expenditures, I can hardly find fault with one person while 100 others are in constant battle and not allowing that person to carry on!
Roy Sessions
2:01AM JUL 25TH 2014
I voted against Bill Nelson as long as I can remember. Glad you finally woke up. Nelson is a Wimp who votes exactly as he is told by Harry Reid and the Democrats. How could you ever believe that he had a mind of his own ? With Bill Nelson, it has always been "my party right or wrong" and Florida as an after thought. Thanks for Obamacare, Bill !!!!!!