Politics

Congressional Democrats Rack Up Big Wins in South Florida Primaries

By: Kevin Derby | Posted: August 26, 2014 11:40 PM
Alcee Hastings, Frederica Wilson, Ted Deutch

Alcee Hastings, Frederica Wilson, Ted Deutch

Three Democrats representing South Florida in Congress cruised to easy wins in the primaries on Tuesday.

U.S. Rep. Alcee Hastings, D-Fla. easily bested two candidates in the primary. With 99.6  percent of the votes counted, Hastings was far ahead with 79 percent of the vote. Jean Enright, who sits on the Palm Beach County Port Commission, stood in distant second with 14.4 percent while former heavyweight boxing contender Jameel McCline was in single digits with 6.6 percent.

Hastings, who was first elected to Congress back in 1992, will be a heavy favorite in November in this strongly Democratic district but he does have two opponents. Jay Bonner has the Republican nomination while Luis Fernandez is running with no party affiliation.

U.S. Rep. Ted Deutch, D-Fla., who was first elected to Congress in a special election back in 2010, had an even easier time in his primary. With all votes counted, Deutch ran over Emmanuel Morel, a retired investigator for the U.S. Labor Department, in Tuesday’s primary. Deutch took 91.7 percent of the primary vote while Morel carried 8.3 percent.

Deutch does have an opponent in the general election: write-in candidate Mike Trout who ran for Congress back in 2012 with little success.

U.S. Rep. Frederica Wilson, D-Fla., also scored a big win in the primary, beating attorney Michael Etienne who is the city clerk of North Miami. Wilson routed Etienne on Tuesday. With 97.5 percent of votes in, Wilson took 80.5 percent of the votes while Etienne took the remaining 19.5 percent,

Wilson represents a heavily Democratic district though she does have three opponents in the general election. Republican Dufirstson Neree and NPA candidate Luis Fernandez both made the ballot to challenge Wilson. Alejandro Walters is running as a write-in candidate.



Reach Kevin Derby at kderby@sunshinestatenews.com or follow him on Twitter: @KevinDerbySSN

Comments (1)

Jan
7:26AM AUG 27TH 2014
Pure name recognition in an uniformed voter demographic!

Leave a Comment on This Story

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.