Florida Chamber Foundation: Work Force, Biz Climate and the Sun Top Florida's Appeal
Around the State
An educated and trained work force, a positive business climate and the state’s natural amenities are the biggest lure for companies that have recently come to Florida, the majority on their own without local or state incentives, according to the research arm of the Florida Chamber of Commerce.
Still, people running those businesses expressed “somewhat of a burden” from areas such as payroll taxes and health care costs, the Florida Chamber Foundation reported Monday.
The beaches, rivers and other sun-baked natural aspects of Florida remain the most satisfactory aspect of Florida for the 19 unnamed businesses that relocated to or within Florida during the first six months of 2011, the foundation reported.
“In an economic environment where approximately 794,000 of our fellow Floridians are unemployed, it is imperative to understand what is driving firms to either enter or leave the state,” Carrie Blanchard, foundation director of research and policy, stated in a release.
Among the findings, according to a chamber summary of the survey:
• Satisfied, “somewhat” or “very,” with the quality of life in Florida: 94 percent.
• Satisfied “somewhat” or “very” with the quality of infrastructure in Florida: 90 percent.
• “Somewhat satisfied” (77 percent) or “very satisfied” (11 percent) with the overall business climate: 88 percent. Also, 42 percent noted that the state’s corporate income tax was “somewhat” of a burden, yet 47 percent didn’t consider the state sales tax a burden.
• “Somewhat satisfied” or “very satisfied” with the education and skill level of Florida’s work force: 77.3 percent.
• Had not participated in regional partnerships or economic development organizations: 73 percent.
Reach Jim Turner at email@example.com or at (850) 215-9889.