Liberals Think They Own Education
Around the State
Generally, I’m against oppression. But there is one minority group in America that probably deserves to be oppressed: liberals.
After all, this 20 percent of the population believes they are entitled to oppress the other 80 percent.
They believe that by virtue of their moral and intellectual superiority they should govern. Not just share in governance, but have it all. We saw how that worked out when Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid ruled.
You didn’t hear anything then about the need for “compromise.”
In liberal parlance, especially as expressed in the media, compromise means that conservatives should give liberals at least half of what they want.
To do otherwise is to engage in “obstructionism.”
But the real obstruction is from liberals
The resistance is felt not only when it concerns fiscal matters but also in the vital area of education.
Liberals began taking over education nearly a century ago and it has been on a downhill path since that time.
Since conservatives began fighting to restore education in the United States to its former prominence, there have been some signs of progress.
Notably, in Florida, standards and accountability have produced benefits. Florida also is a national leader in school choice, which is a component of accountability.
Liberals give this approach lip service, but continue to oppose and obstruct the progress.
They prefer the status quo: Let “educators” do whatever they want and continue to throw money at the schools.
They hate the FCAT program, which measures the progress of students and schools, showing teachers what students need help and what help they need.
The complaints about the FCAT are many – and spurious.
The FCAT is not a creature of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy. It was established while not-so-conservative Lawton Chiles was governor. It is based on what Florida teachers said students need to learn.
The bar has been raised five times. Each time the left screams that we are dooming children by expecting them to learn. But the number of A and B schools is increasing and the number of D and F schools is dropping, according to the Foundation for Florida’s Future.
Students rise to the level of expectation.
The FCAT helps students. Graduation rates have increased and research shows the learning gains to be real.
Critics complain about “high stakes” tests. They are high stakes. They involve the future of Florida students. That’s why we have them.
Students do not have to pass the FCAT to graduate from fourth grade and teachers don’t have to "teach the test” – not that it would hurt to do so. But teachers can’t because they don’t know what standards are going to be tested. So they have to teach all the standards, and nothing prevents them from teaching “critical thinking” as well.
The FCAT is here, it is helping children. Libs need to get over it.
Lloyd Brown was in the newspaper business nearly 50 years, beginning as a copy boy and retiring as editorial page editor of the Florida Times-Union in Jacksonville. After retirement he served as speech writer for Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.