Paul Ryan, Debbie Wasserman Schultz Clash over 2016 and the Economy

By: Kevin Derby | Posted: August 29, 2014 3:55 AM
Paul Ryan and Debbie Wasserman Schultz

Paul Ryan and Debbie Wasserman Schultz

U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., the chairman of the U.S. House Budget Committee and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s running mate in 2012, is increasingly thinking about running for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016 -- and drawing fire from a prominent Florida Democrat.

Ryan, who made nine stops across Florida earlier this month in a tour for his new book, appeared on “PoliticKing with Larry King” on Ora.TV on Thursday, talking to that longtime talk-show host about his future ambitions.

“I'm gonna make that mind up with my family in 2015,” Ryan said about a possible presidential bid. “I feel I have an opportunity to add a voice, to offer ideas, to show alternatives, to -- to help build a conservative movement in a Republican Party that's aspirational, inclusive, and, you know, shows alternatives. I don't like the direction the country's headed; I feel like we should offer an alternative. I can do that no matter what it is I choose to do in the future, and on that question I'm gonna make that ... decision in 2015.”

Looking ahead to 2016, Ryan said Republicans “should expect” former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to run on the Democratic side.“ I think her party is gonna be desperate to get her into the race,” Ryan said of Clinton.

Ryan said many Americans were being left behind in President Barack Obama’s economy.

“I think a lotta people are slipping through the cracks in this economy, in this country, and I don't think the country's on the right track,” Ryan told King. “I believe a lot of people agree with me, but it's not enough as an elected official simply to criticize, point fingers. I feel we owe Americans a different way forward, another idea, another plan, and that's what I think I have a responsibility of doing. That's what I'm doing here. How do we take ... the country's founding principles, apply 'em to the problems of the day to show the country better solutions to have a healthy economy that creates more opportunity and better jobs, keeps America's standing in the world so we stay safe, and give hard-working taxpayers the kinda government that they deserve but are not getting? I think there's a better way to go, we can do so much more as a country, that's why I decided to write this book.”

Ryan told King that Republicans need to be more than just the opposition to Obama, calling for the GOP to remain conservative while appealing to minority voters. Calling him “my mentor," Ryan cited another Republican vice presidential hopeful who came up short -- former U.S. HUD Secretary Jack Kemp -- as an example of how a conservative can reach out to minority voters.

But Ryan drew fire from U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., the chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee (DNC), who also appeared on King’s show. Wasserman Schultz dismissed Ryan’s presidential prospects come 2016.

“Paul Ryan said he will decide next year if he’ll run,” King said. “If he ran, would he be formidable?”

“I think he’s already been rejected by the voters along with his running mate, Mr. Romney, because the American people, when presented with a very clear contrast between Democrats under President Obama’s leadership direction, which was -- if you work hard and play by the rules, that everyone should have an opportunity to succeed, not just the people that already are successful,” Wasserman Schultz said. “And Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan’s plans ... were to turn Medicare into a voucher system, increase premiums for seniors, repeal the Affordable Care Act, move toward privatization of Social Security -- and he’s doubled down on that now with this book. So no, I don’t think he’s going to be a very formidable candidate -- certainly not if he actually makes it to a general election. But the tea party certainly will welcome him with open arms.”

Calling Republicans “hell bent on obstruction,” the Florida congresswoman took aim at Ryan.

“Put aside the sequester, Paul Ryan still pushes through his budget that ends Medicare as we know it, that would work -- move toward privatizing Social Security, that cuts education and increases taxes on the middle class, so that we can -- so that we can cut taxes for the wealthiest, most fortunate Americans,” Wasserman Schultz said. “That's why Americans are concerned that we're not going to actually be able to maintain the prosperity that we've finally returned to.

“We should be working together,” Wasserman Schultz continued. “You know, Paul Ryan and his tea party buddies should stop trying to obstruct and stop the president at every turn. He should let go of his obsession with ending Medicare as we know it and turning it into a voucher system. Larry, that would cost seniors.”

Wasserman Schultz praised Obama’s handling of the economy.

“If you look at Americans' opinions about the economy -- Americans actually have quite a bit of confidence in the economy,” Wasserman Schultz told King. “They're feeling that the progress that we've made ... is a good thing. We've -- we've had 51 straight months of job growth in the private sector ... the last six months straight, more jobs -- more than 200,000 jobs created. That's the first time since -- that's happened since 1997.”

Reach Kevin Derby at kderby@sunshinestatenews.com or follow him on Twitter: @KevinDerbySSN

Marilyn Taylor
5:34PM SEP 9TH 2014
I have read that her net worth was negative 1 million (- $1,000,000)in 2013. I really want someone like that making decisions on how the American taxpayers money is spent -NOT. However the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, and various and sundry groups that are sucking the government tit LOVE her.
James Leckie
7:18AM AUG 30TH 2014
Ms wasserman-Schultz consistently misrepresents the views of anyone she opposes. Come on Debbie be truthful in what you say! I was a Cook County dem and I find you an embarrassment to our party. It's not what's good for our party, but rather what's good for our country. You are no friend of truth and goodness!
Bob
12:18PM AUG 29TH 2014
If Mr. Amnesty Paul Ryan is the Republican choice, I will stay home in 2016.
Fire
7:54AM AUG 29TH 2014
Our leader Obama and his democrats; "We don't have a strategy yet" concerning ISIS should take the American Citizen to the polls this November voting all democrats out of office. But he will be out campaigning with three fundraisers over the next two days. Now that's something he has a strategy for. One Hell of a good start with a strategy would be to seal our Borders. Holder and Obama are pushing to disarm our police force in America. Everyone feeling safe under this administration?
The Swampfox
7:46AM AUG 29TH 2014
Everyone take note:

This is classic democratic strategy 101 of taking an issue and twisting it around to your advantage. The previous writer is spot on, Wasserman Schultz must be hallucinating considering her comments. It's interesting to note that during the last presidential election, both Romney and Ryan predicted the problems, with "all" major issues that are being dealt with today by this administration. Russia, Obama Care, militants, the economy etc. Their problem was they were unable to deal with the doubletalk the democrats put up such as these comment, that's where patriot's like myself and may others come in to set the record straight. What difference does the privatization of Social Security have with Obama Care? One major difference would be is that a plan "THAT WORKS FOR EVERYONE" would first be in place giving the younger generation an opportunity to escape a system that is failing, and current seniors a real option to invest in a newer system, or stay where they are. Social Security would be in good shape today if it weren't for a "DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT" Lyndon Johnson in his great society scheme placing SSI 's funding into the general fund giving the parasites like Wasserman Schultz, aka, congress in general the ability to raid the fund. This is common knowledge. OH.... BTW the same type of privatizing of Social Security is exactly the same kind of retirement plan congress has? So POP QUIZ QUESTION; why would the democrats oppose such a plan aren't they the altruistic party for the people? Answer; privatization would remove all the money "WE" pay the government every week out of our paychecks from the general fund. This would greatly reduce the pork spending in Washington, and as we all know that kind of pork is the only kind Wasserman Schultz likes!

Ms.Wasserman Schultz, I know your staff reads these sites, explain to Florida the comment that under Obama's leadership (misnomer) if you work hard, play by the rules everyone will succeed? First that is a republican mantra not your party, also how hypocritical to even use the words play by the rule? Oh...I get it, "do as I say not as I do," the elitist persona of this ersatz president. Obama has done everything except play by the rules!! Are you in a parallel world? The way, & reasons why executive orders were signed are a clear violation of our three branches of government! It's not the signing of executive orders, all presidents have that power it's the way Mr. Obama did it circumventing our Constitution to get his way.Get with it Schultz, even you must have to hold your nose regurgitating those comments in defense of this administration. To conclude my comments there is very little confidence in the economy . The plans your party have put in place are literally destroying our economy. When you factor in the people that have quit looking for work, your unemployment numbers are double digit. Any poll indicates that Americans do not approve of this presidents policies. I'm certain the only reason you will get re-elected is either your district depends on all the freebees you give them compliments of hard working American taxpayers or your constituents are unable to connect the dots. Pathetic, but that's the way our system works.
Bob Moller