Pro-Life Activist Randall Terry Looks to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012 Dem Primaries

Perhaps best known to Floridians for his role as the spokesman for Terri Schiavo's parents
By: Kevin Derby | Posted: January 18, 2011 11:28 AM
Randall Terry Campaign Site

Randall Terry

Pro-life leader Randall Terry, founder of Operation Rescue, will announce Thursday that he will challenge President Barack Obama in the 2012 Democratic primaries.

Terry is perhaps best known to Floridians for his role as the spokesman for Terri Schiavo’s parents and for his challenge of state Sen. Jim King in the Republican primary in 2006.

“My constituency is the millions of pro-life advocates who want to make child-killing illegal from conception until birth,” said Terry on Tuesday. “My base is those who know that we must show Americans the victims of abortion, in order to restore the full protection of law to unborn babies.”

Terry, who has backed graphic ads of abortion procedures before, hopes to run ads during the 2012 NFL playoff games, including the Super Bowl.

“America has never truly debated child-killing, because America has never truly seen child-killing,” insisted Terry. “We will use FEC and FCC laws for federal candidates to bring America face-to-face with this massacre of the innocents.”

While pro-life Democrats have prevailed at the state level, they have failed badly in their pursuit of their party’s presidential nomination in recent years. While there was talk that then-Gov. Bob Casey of Pennsylvania -- who was pro-life, which was why he was denied a speaking opportunity at the 1992 Democratic convention in New York -- would challenge incumbent President Bill Clinton in 1996, Casey’s health problems prevented a campaign.

Former Florida Gov. Reubin Askew highlighted his pro-life positions when he ran for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1984, but bowed out after being routed in Iowa and New Hampshire. Former Ambassador Sargent Shriver and New York housewife Ellen McCormack opposed abortion when they sought the Democratic presidential nomination in 1976, but neither proved to be a major factor in slowing down Jimmy Carter’s march to the White House.

Based on the comments made on Tuesday, Terry seemed more than aware of the obstacles standing in his way.

“Will I defeat Mr. Obama? I’m not delusional,” said Terry. “But while I may not defeat him, I can expose the genocide Obama promotes in America and around the world.”

Terry added that his campaign had two goals: creating “a crisis of conscience for Americans regarding the slaughter of the unborn and thereby hastening the end of legalized child-killing” and attacking “President Obama’s agenda starting with child-killing, but also including our battle against socialism, our enslavement to debt, and more.”

While admitting that he is an underdog to knock Obama off in the primaries, Terry included outreach appeals to pro-life voters, Hispanics, Catholics, evangelicals and tea party activists at his campaign's website.

Terry’s announcement on Thursday will be in front of the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C., a few days before the annual March for Life which will be held on Jan. 24.

While there has been talk that Obama could face a challenge from a progressive in the 2012 primaries, the only prominent politician to express any interest in taking him on was former U.S. Sen. Mike Gravel of Alaska who ran for the nomination in 2008.

Reach Kevin Derby at kderby@sunshinestatenews.com or at (850) 727-0859.

Ann Marie Heaney
4:01PM MAR 31ST 2011
I am a Democrat that is pro-life so I am interested in what you have to say. If you will do everything that is possible to keep guaranteed, affordable health insurance I would seriously consider voting for you.
LDouglas
8:48AM JAN 21ST 2011

Mr. Terry,
As president, in order to stop genocide around the world would you be willing to start by cutting off all trade with China and forbid our corporations from doing business there? After all, the Chinese government is worse than ours. They don't give women a choice about abortions- they force abortions on them. So every time an American saves money by buying a product made in China, or a corporation makes a profit on Chinese labor, as well as the investors, we are in effect saying we're okay with genocide.

Otherwise, I repeat for Radiance. Your cause is to end legal abortion. My cause is to make sure people are provided with the best tools to prevent the unplanned pregnacies that lead to abortion. Illegalizing abortion will not make them end. It'll only make criminals out of women who are doing what businessmen do every day with the government's blessing- look out for their best interest and bottom line.
6:26PM JAN 18TH 2011
In 8 months he will change his mind and support the man child. What an unpredictable turn of events. This is a set up.
sims127
3:50PM JAN 24TH 2011
Randall Terry has been a Republican his entire life, and is only primarying Obama to embarrass him. He would never support Obama for any reason. And don't be another embarrasment, like Terry, with your racist comments.
LDouglas
1:53PM JAN 18TH 2011
I doubt he has much of a chance because Mr. Terry doesn't sound pro-life to me- just anti-abortion. There's a difference and to say you're pro-life when you're clearly not is hypocritical. And not too many people want to support someone if they're a hypocrite. And he might be exposed as one for railing against socialism if that promotes life for those conceptions once they make it clear of the womb. And it would be especially hypocritical for him to talk about President Obama fostering genocide around the world if he has any money left over after meeting his basic needs, or spends any money on luxuries and doesn't use them to promote the life of others. You see, if he has extra money, personally, he has even more power to promote life than a pregnant woman has.

Millions of actual children whose mothers chose life for them all over this world die everyday through starvation or preventable diseases while some men want us to think they really care because they get up in arms about the loss of potential children. All the while they live lives of excess and plenty and rail against socialism. Yeah, right...
Jose Alvarez
11:43PM JAN 18TH 2011
Dude: This man is more pro life than all of us put together. He has been doing this for the last thirty years. How can you equate anti abortion and pro life as two different things?
LDouglas
7:03AM JAN 19TH 2011
Jose,
He's been doing it for 30 years and the abortion rates are up? What exactly has he been doing? You know the saying, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? In the case of unplanned/unwanted pregnancies, it's worth two.

When President GW Bush was in office is when I realized there's a difference between being pro-life and anti-abortion. When you're anti-abortion, your care about promoting life ends at the womb. When you're pro-life, you advocate for promoting life long beyond the womb. That would include placing people over profits and railing against the pollution that shortens people's lives. That would include ensuring our working poor have timely access to health care and that they don't have to go in debt for it. And that would include taking steps to make it clearer and easier for women and couples to prevent unwanted pregnancies as well as a timely and proper sex education for our youth. It would also include a lot of mentoring programs for our young people. It's not pro-life to ignore generations of young people who are growing up without knowing the love, the responsibility, and the dedication it takes to be a parent because it's not your responsibility and then cry when they don't have the empathy required to not care about aborting their baby for convenience. They need to be shown love and empathy, and how to be responsible for themselves. And that there's a better world out there for them, and to pick up different parenting skills- including empathy for your own.

So tell me Jose. Are you pro-life or anti-abortion? To be pro-life, would you be willing to abide by the same law that would apply to pregnant women? That you too must use your body and money to promote/sustain the life of another?
Would you agree to making organ donation mandatory (at death)? Would you support making health care a right for all? (After all, how can we have a right to life if we don't have a right to health care?) Among other things.
Pat
4:47PM JAN 18TH 2011
Very sophisticated indeed. A really palatable way to say "let the merciless killing continue unabated".
LDouglas
7:53PM JAN 18TH 2011
No, not at all Pat. I very much support preventing abortions but I'm not gullible enough to think a law is going to do it. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of a man who may run for President. I can support a true pro-life candidate, but not a phony or one that only concerns himself with a potential life while ignoring the living.

So tell me, to end the merciless killing, would you be willing to abide by the same law that would apply to pregnant women? That you too must use your body and money to promote/sustain the life of another?
Radiance
7:13AM JAN 19TH 2011
L Douglas attack upon the character and intent Mr. Randall provides absolutely no evidence to support his accusations. His/her comments are mere vile smear and his/her insinuated pro-life position is exposed as fraudulent by the phrase, "potential life."
LDouglas
7:44AM JAN 19TH 2011
I didn't attack Mr. Randall's character, I merely question it. Otherwise, can you tell me when it became certain that every conception ends with a live baby to hold? I haven't found that to be the case, even when the mother really wants it to be so.
Radiance
8:17AM JAN 19TH 2011
A delicate "living human" is held by a mother's tender womb, once matured, not so tender human hands may for the first time caress the 'living human," only months latter a not so tender human hand may gently toss a now toddler "living human" being in the air and gently catch the child. Within a few short years the Living Human is able to with supervision now hold in their own hands another "living human."

Some living humans die naturally after conception some die brutally at the hands of ten fingered beasts. You L Douglas by your reasoning suggest life begins after birth. Your hands L Douglas are not tender nor is your heart for God's living creation. Your hands are the hands of a ten fingered beast; unworthy to caress tender human beings!
LDouglas
12:39PM JAN 19TH 2011
You sound pretty ugly to call yourself Radiance. In fact, your comment sounds like you were looking in the mirror and describing yourself. Because that certainly isn't me.

One thing I've learned about a few people who are anti-abortion as opposed to pro-life, and that is they were personally responsible for an abortion taking place and it's their way of easing their guilt. At least I don't have that on my conscience.
Radiance
4:41PM JAN 19TH 2011
If you will admit that human life begins at conception then I will view you otherwise. But your statements assert that life begins at birth. So redeem yourself by admitting human life begins at conception.

My past is riddled with the broken bones of those whom The Christ loves. But by the grace of God abortion is not one of them.

Your argumentative skill is adolescent. Even a casual examination of your writing reveals basic theological and moral bankruptcy. Or you simply have horrible writing ability and should learn to write or be silent.
LDouglas
5:42PM JAN 19TH 2011
I could care less how you view me Radiance and because of that I won't tell you what I believe. And too bad, as long as I can get thinking people to think about the legitimacy of their pro-life stance, (Pat, Jose?) I'll continue to write what I want, when I feel like it.

Thank you anonymous. Even I can see Radiance is no voice for the unborn and doesn't help their cause.
Radiance
7:45PM JAN 20TH 2011
L Douglas is a mouth piece for the beast!

Here is the proof by his own following words, "Even I can see Radiance is no voice for the unborn and doesn't help their cause."

Notice Douglas says "their cause" NOT our cause!

Couple this with all his other statements here and it is plain for everyone to see his claim to be pro life is a lie. He/she is here to only condemn the efforts of Mr. Randall and divide OUR cause.

Or like I said he can't write and should be silent.
LDouglas
8:33AM JAN 21ST 2011
Radiance
9:09AM JAN 21ST 2011
The murder of living in the womb babies is BIG business. Even murdering them post delivery as in the news this week with the Dr. Gosnell of Pennsylvania. I have personally witnessed such acts at a local hospital in 1976. I was a punk kid working in central supply and was invited by a nurse to witness how the hospital handles unwanted babies. Although the nursing staff did not cut the babies spinal cord they left the boy naked on a stainless steal table until he chilled to death 3 hours latter.

I know your type and you are the minions of powers and principalities. You show up hear posing as sensible voices for pro life but you are a fraud from the dark side. Your writing exposes your agenda. Life "human life" begins at conception.

Your reasoning that abortion will happen with or without criminalizing the behavior is extended to all morally repugnant acts including pedophilia. The "man boy love alliance" uses your logic to support their evil also. Men are going to rape little boys; so why not relieve everyone of the stigma and just make it a norm of society therein the little boys will not feel like a victim. They will feel love. Therein good is called evil and evil is called good. This is your logic L Douglas!
LDouglas
12:51PM JAN 21ST 2011
Wow- so now I know what you are Radiance. Sorry, but a law won't stop you from acting out on your deepest desires and impulses. Many others have tried. Some have even joined the Priesthood to stop it, to no avail. Your best bet is to get counseling, and soon.

I say that with no malice.
Radiance
4:17PM JAN 21ST 2011
Nice try L Douglas but I grew up in a typical middle class secular humanist family. As an adult I came to comprehend the likes of ten fingered beasts who kill children and their apologist who think like you.
Radiance
4:44PM JAN 21ST 2011
Read and weep! here is the reality of abortion doctors across the nation!