Ring in the New Year with a Hike in a Florida State Park
Around the State
In a statement released Monday morning, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, has issued an invitation to the people of Florida "to get back to nature" in the new year by participating in First Day Hikes 2014 on Wednsday, Jan. 1.
Says DEP, First Day Hikes offer individuals and families an opportunity to begin the new year rejuvenating and reconnecting with the outdoors by taking a healthy hike on New Year's Day at a state park. First Day Hikes are aimed at getting people outside to exercise, enjoy nature and welcome the new year with friends and family.
The Florida Park Service is proud to host more than 48 events around the state.
In October, the Florida State Parks System won its third Gold Medal of Excellence from the National Recreation and Parks System. This makes Florida the first three-time gold medal award recipient. Since 1935, the Florida Park Service has provided recreational activities, while preserving, interpreting and restoring natural and cultural resources.
Park staff and volunteers will guide these hikes, offering educational commentary along the way. Start times will vary by park. Please check the park’s event page for details. The events will take place:
· Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park, Tallahassee
· Big Lagoon State Park, Pensacola
· Blackwater River State Park, Holt
· Dr. Julian G. Bruce St. George Island State Park. St. George Island
· Florida Caverns State Park, Marianna
· Grayton Beach State Park, Grayton Beach
· St. Andrews State Park, Panama City
· T.H. Stone Memorial St. Joseph Peninsula State Park, Port St. Joe
· Tarkiln Bayou Preserve State Park, Niceville
· Topsail Hill Preserve State Park, Santa Rosa Beach
· Torreya State Park, Bristol.
· Cedar Key Scrub State Reserve, Cedar Key
· Ichetucknee Springs State Park, Fort White
· Little Talbot Island State Park, Jacksonville
· Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings Historic State Park, Cross Creek
· O'Leno State Park, High Springs
· Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park, Micanopy
· Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park, White Springs
· Suwannee River State Park, Live Oak.
· Anastasia State Park, St. Augustine
· Blue Spring State Park, Orange City
· Colt Creek State Park, Lakeland
· De Leon Springs State Park, De Leon Springs
· Fort Mose Historic State Park, St. Augustine
· Gamble Rogers Memorial State Recreation Area at Flagler Beach
· Hontoon Island State Park, Deland
· Lake Griffin State Park, Fruitland Park
· Lake Kissimmee State Park, Lake Wales
· Lower Wekiva River Preserve State Park, Sanford
· Palatka-to-St. Augustine State Trail, Palatka
· Ravine Gardens State Park, Palatka
· Rock Springs Run State Reserve, Sorrento
· Sebastian Inlet State Park, Melbourne Beach
· Silver Springs State Park, Ocala
· St. Sebastian River Preserve State Park, Fellsmere
· Tomoka State Park, Ormond Beach
· Wekiwa Springs State Park, Apopka.
· Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin
· Honeymoon Island State Park, Dunedin
· Lovers Key State Park, Fort Myers Beach
· Stump Pass Beach State Park, Englewood.
· Bahia Honda State Park, Big Pine Key
· Fort Pierce Inlet State Park, Fort Pierce
· Hugh Taylor Birch State Park, Fort Lauderdale
· John D. MacArthur Beach State Park, North Palm Beach
· John U. Lloyd Beach State Park, Hollywood
· Savannas Preserve State Park, Port St. Lucie.
Visit the website for a complete list of special events in Florida’s state parks.