Ron Paul Takes on Abortion: 'The Most Important Issue of Our Age'

Making his third presidential bid, Texas congressman wants states to resolve issue
By: Kevin Derby | Posted: June 25, 2011 3:55 AM
Ron Paul

Ron Paul | Credit: Flickr- Red Barnes

Stuck in Washington as Congress faces votes on continued funding of American military action in Libya, U.S. Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, making his third bid for the White House, spoke via Skype to pro-life activists convening in Jacksonville.

“I talk a lot about right-to-life,” said Paul, who called it “the most important issue of our age.”

Paul, who was the Libertarian presidential nominee in 1988 and ran for the Republican presidential nomination in 2008, called abortion “a very bad sign for civilization.

“To give abortion-on-demand is to show there is no respect for life,” Paul told the National Right-to-Life Committee's (NRLC) annual convention.

Paul noted that he has been called a “champion of liberty” due to his call for a reduction in the size and scope of the federal government, his critiques of  monetary policy and his attacks on American foreign policy.

“Liberty is secondary to life,” insisted Paul. “If you’re careless about the defense of life, you can’t be a champion of liberty.”

The congressman noted that when he went to medical school in the late 1950s and early 1960s, he never encountered or studied about abortion and grieved to see the practice become legalized and supported in America. He noted that the Hippocratic oath was no longer being administered to new doctors, arguing this is a sign of how accepted abortion has become.

Paul said pro-life advocates would never see an end to legalized abortion until the culture was changed.

“The legalization of abortion has come from a change of morality,” maintained Paul. “We fight abortion at all levels but ultimately it’s the morality of the people that counts.”

The congressman said he believed that the legalization of abortion led to the rise of a number of violent crimes across the United States. including increased incidents of child abuse.

Unlike many pro-lifers who want to see the federal government outlaw abortion, Paul said the best way to fight against it politically would be at the state levels.

“I see abortion as an act of violence so I see it as a state issue,” said Paul. “When we make it a national issue, we get what we’ve had.”

Paul said the Supreme Court of the United States should have never heard Roe v. Wade, the case that legalized abortion, and said that social issues -- including abortion, school prayer and marriage -- should be handled by the states and not by the federal courts.

The congressman pointed to the We the People Act that he has backed, which would take social issues back to the states, and expressed dissatisfaction with Congress for never passing it -- even when conservatives and Republicans controlled the White House and both chambers of Congress.

“We could have stopped millions and millions of abortions,” said Paul. “We should not legalize the killing of an individual.”

Reach Kevin Derby at kderby@sunshinestatenews.com or at (850) 727-0859.

Abra
2:03PM JAN 16TH 2012
The positive comments and do well wishes are very motivational and greatly appreciated.
Ankhorite
7:23AM DEC 16TH 2011
Ron Paul is a disgrace to the ideals of Libertarianism.

He's all for liberty -- FOR MEN. But for women? Oh, no, for women, every uterus is a public utility, and the woman who carries that uterus is a slave of the state, who can -- and according to him, should -- be forced to bear children against her will.

Where's MY liberty, Dr. Paul? Shame on you. Female life matters just as much as fetal life. Stop trying to get your laws in my pants.
not free
3:04PM JUL 5TH 2011
Congressman Paul is only a libertarian at the federal level. He uses his religious faith and crazy semi libertarian views to allow the states to restrict our personal rights as much as they seem fit, this is not a true libertarian.
When a fetus develops the ability to survive outside to womb without artificial assistance I will consider abortion wrong. It is not anyone's place to tell a woman what she should do with her body. If he is truly pro-life then I want him to denounce meat eating and the killing of all animals, or if equating animal life with human life is beyond your rationale then how do most pro-lifers accept the death penalty. If you truly value life you must value all life not just human life, but i don't hear any body on the pro-life side saying this.
K
8:46PM AUG 26TH 2011
Pro-lifers do not accept the death penalty.
1:27PM AUG 28TH 2011
Most pro life people that I know are pro death penalty.
Kevin Williams
4:57PM JUN 27TH 2011
William Wilburforce said "Policy is not my principle and I am not ashamed to say it. There is a principle that is above everything politic, and when I reflect on the command which says "Thou shalt do no murder," believing its Authority to be Divine, who am I to dare set up any reasonings of my own against it!"
"Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let us go out to the field." and when out in the field, Cain attacked his brother and killed him. Then the lord said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I dont know he replied. Am I my brother's keeper? The Lord said "What have you done? Listen, your brother's blood cries out to me from the earth." Genesis 4:8-10
"After Cain committed the first murder in human history, God asked him "Where is your brother?" He replied by saying "I dont know."
In 1973, the Supreme court was asked the same question and gave the same answer. Unable to admit that the unborn children are our brothers and sisters, the Supreme Court said in its Roe V Wade ruling, "We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins." Boil that down to three words, and its "I dont know." From Frank Pavone's Devotional for our "40 Days For Life" prayer vigil. I encourage you to look into it and get involved.
I often wonder if Psalm 94 is speaking specifically to The US Supreme Court's Roe V Wade decision when it says "Shall the throne of iniquity which devises evil by law have fellowship with You? They gather together against the LIFE of the righteous, and condemn innocent blood!" Just a few verses before this the Psalmist uses embryonic terms when he says "Shall He who planted the ear not hear? Shall He who formed the eye not see?" The chapter ends with the sobering words "He has brought upon them their own iniquity and shall cut them off in their own wickedness; the Lord our God shall cut them off!"
Deitrich Boenhoffer, a German Pastor who was executed by the Nazis said; "Silence in the face of evil is evil itself and we will not be held guiltless! Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."
Get involved in this issue. If you need help or advice in how, feel free to contact me. papakevin11@gmail.com
susie Allen
11:50AM AUG 28TH 2011
Great. I may quote you in an upcoming talk
LDouglas
8:13PM JUN 26TH 2011
It seems to me the way to make abortion acceptable and keep it legal is to patent the process and then incorporate it. Once it's one big business and creates profits for 401K's and other investors it'll have the backing of even the most "conservatives" in government.

And when pro-life people complain, the corporation will do what all polluting corporations do- create a lot of doubt that the process actually harms people. (Best case, maybe pay a fine, maybe pay a settlement but never admit liability.)

Sarcasm off, I'll respect Ron Paul's pro-life stance once I know where he stands on regulations concerning the pollution of our air, water, and food. Is he willing to put our health over free market principles in the name of corporate profits and strengthen, or at least enforce with teeth our Clean Air and Clean Water Acts. And reform the FDA, the USDA, and any other government agency charged with protecting our health to make sure they're doing just that.
Steve
2:56PM JUN 27TH 2011
No one seems to ask the right question, which is - What does God think ?

God bless Ron Paul; and the America that we used to know.
silverstreak
4:25PM JUN 28TH 2011
How ignorant can you be to believe that you have the right to speak for God relating to Ron Paul and abortion issues? Delusional comes to mind. As for Mr. Derby, his obsession with this issue knows no bounds. I believe I can safely say that Mr. Derby will never have to have an abortion. This issue has been resolved for years, just not the way you want it to be.
Jacob
10:29PM JUN 26TH 2011
If you're asking if he wants to cut the EPA? Yes, he would; however- it's not first on the chopping block. He'd like to cut social security as well, but whether or not he'll have the opportunity is another question entirelly. His focus will be on ending the wars and cutting from the Federal Budget across the board (as well as increasing transparency of the Fed and lowering taxes).

In regard to how he feels about polution: he sees it as a property rights issue. Everyone owns the air, water and land- so you can't just go polluting: you're violating other people's rights to maintain a safe environment for themselves. In Paul's mind, abuses, like what you seem to indicate with corporations, come when big government becomes involved. The government calludes with big business, and thats when you see corprations getting away, like you said. If things were at the state level and smaller- it would be less likely that you could just see continued abuses like that.
Jeffersonianideal
9:03AM JUN 26TH 2011
federal intervention of any kind.

ideology. The matter should reside at the state level.

are merely pro-birth.

scrutiny.
skterp
1:39PM JUN 28TH 2011
What you've described is miscarriage, not abortion. I'm pro-life and am well aware of that statistic, but am also aware at the difference in terms. Naturally, we all wonder why bad things happen, but that is a different discussion. To understand the will of God is to be Him and I for one make no such claim.
Jeffersonianideal
8:44AM AUG 3RD 2011
But I have been told god's will administers every act in the universe. I'll take note of the one exception you cited.
Jeffersonianideal
8:51AM JUN 26TH 2011
As a constitutionalist libertarian for almost two decades, I was initially at odds with a couple of political and economic issues, abortion being one. With the help of Dr. Ron Paul and the late, great Harry Browne, I was able to change my long held thinking pattern on the topic and adopt the view against federal intervention of any kind.

Government should neither promote or discourage abortion. Taxpayers should never be forced to fund either abortions, faith based counseling, abstinence programs, adoption services or Planned Parenthood ideology. The matter should reside at the state level.

I also firmly assert that Dr. Paul is an example of someone who most lives up to the cherished ideal associated with term "pro-life". This is due to his consistent political and social views regarding war, the use of force and individual autonomy. Most others who claim to be crusaders on behalf of the unborn are merely pro-birth.

I differ with the good Doctor on theocratic grounds however and with the premise that life begins at the moment of conception. Most theists conveniently omit or are unaware that almost 50% of pregnancies where the woman is unaware that she has conceived, ends in spontaneous abortion. When a woman is aware of her pregnancy, this heavenly induced process takes place about 20% of the time. To the self-righteous, God it seems is the one abortion doctor who is beyond reproach and exempt from moral scrutiny.
Irish Catholic
4:04PM JUN 26TH 2011
It seems to me that your metaphor about god being an abortion doctor is inexact in several important ways. As a Catholic I believe that God, as the author of life and death, can and does choose when we die. We are eternal creatures, when we die in this life we are born into the next, perhaps God is just calling these souls back to him sooner. As Christians we don't see natural death as an evil, simply a part of life. Anyway, my thoughts on the issue, would love to hear your response.
Jeffersonianideal
2:34PM JUN 27TH 2011
I appreciate your comment. I do not know why my original post was printed twice. It must have been a computer glitch. In addition to being a constitutionalist libertarian I am also an agnostic. Though I have little to do with institutionalized religion since abandoning my own faith several years ago, I am a strong proponent of all constitutional rights including freedom of religion and (just as importantly) freedom from religion. As a libertarian, I consider one’s religion to be just another personal choice, no more and no less. Religion should not be undermined by imposed restriction or favored with mandatory privilege. I personally do not believe in irrational wish-think and unsubstantiated metaphysical phenomenon. I also maintain that religion is not necessary for or a precursor to moral behavior.

I am constantly amazed at how reflexively and thoughtlessly, believers give the god concept the ultimate benefit of the doubt. God is freely granted by the holder of faith, the win-win, no matter the reason, circumstance or outcome. Because it is one’s god performing the deed or procedure, the result is always sacrosanct, never to be scorned or criticized. Make all circumstances identical but place the same results in the hands of a mere mortal and the exact outcome suddenly becomes suspect at best and outright evil at worst.

A perfect example of this is the act of male mutilation known as circumcision. Only a decree from on high could make such a ritualistic act of barbarism not only mainstream but sanctified. If a human were to devise such a hideously cruel and irrational scheme they would be viewed as a criminal. Incidentally, all carefully crafted, secular based reasons for circumcision, including the deceitfully motivated, personal hygiene angle have been debunked by science.

I am willing to sincerely admit that the abortion question and any subsequent answers are difficult and not easily arrived at. What I will not concede is being an advocate of government force to promote either side’s solution.
Irish Catholic
4:04PM JUN 26TH 2011
Robert Stine
3:46AM JUN 26TH 2011
This is a very good attitude and the one I can stand behind wholeheartedly. I think he should also focus on the dictatorial control of the media that is programming people daily with destructive attacks on good, healthy, live styles that we see in Asian countries. Respect of life, good education, and freedom from strong control from government.
Bill
8:35PM JUN 25TH 2011
Have you noticed how well Ron Paul is treated in local or regional newspapers as opposed to the national news? I've read three or four "local" articles like this one that give Dr Paul his due credit for being a candidate of integrity. He has my vote in 2012 and my full support until then.
william sinnott
6:52PM JUN 25TH 2011
Dr. Paul couldn't be more right. Abortion is a moral issue, and people should not be forced to pay for things they disagree with. Like Paul, I would throw war right into this mix. Liberties cannot be segmented. This is why it cannot be handled at the federal level, as most things cannot be. Let churches, individuals and private organizations counsel people to make good decisions. The federal government should barely exist anyway, let alone the abortion-loving, sustainable development, psycho United Nations.
Mike
3:06PM JUN 25TH 2011
If you don't think there is anyone left with true integrity, you haven't learned about Ron Paul.
#1 paulista
1:17PM JUN 25TH 2011
you are right again RON PAUL! the only decent person in politics today is RON PAUL!
George M. Drosdowich
5:47PM AUG 27TH 2011
I am even more conservative than Ron Paul. The Federal Government has no right to allow or prohibit abortion, the State has no right as well. The only person who has any authority to make a decision is the woman who is pregnant. Anything less turns a woman's body into the the chattel of the State, church, or family. This is only common sense.