Columns

Why This Democrat Will Be Voting for Mitt Romney

By: Barney Bishop | Posted: July 13, 2012 12:00 PM
Barney Bishop

Barney Bishop

In 1992, I was the executive director of the Florida Democratic Party. I managed political operations for the Democrats in one of the largest swing states in our nation.

Our nominee, Bill Clinton, went on to win the presidency, and he fostered eight prosperous years in our nation’s history. He delivered balanced budgets and surpluses that reduced the nation’s debt.

Clinton was the type of Democrat I’ve supported my whole life, fiscally conservative while still focused on the needs of the hard-working middle class. Clinton famously declared, “The era of big government is over.” Barack Obama is a completely different kind of Democrat.

In every challenge that faces our nation, Obama sees a solution that can only come with another government-spending program. He fails to harness the ingenuity of entrepreneurs; instead he actually places obstacles, like burdensome regulation, in front of their path to progress.

For decades, I have been fortunate to work at the intersection of business and government policy. I have seen firsthand how decisions made by our elected officials can either foster growth or grind our economy to a halt. Perhaps no better Obama policy reflects the extreme level of economic interference than the heavy-handed nationalization of our health care. Instead of expanding choice and free-market opportunities for families, it limits options and place a new tax on individuals.

With Obama’s failed stimulus program and other reckless spending, the nation’s debt has increased more in his first term than it did during the eight years of George W. Bush’s presidency. This unsustainable spending spree has jeopardized the country’s credit worthiness and could ruin the economy for future generations.

Worse still, is the Obama campaign's persisting narrative that economic investment is bad or should be punished. Specifically, the attacks on the work Mitt Romney did in private equity demonstrate a dangerous lack of understanding of how important risk-taking investors are in the U.S. economy. Companies are created and grow precisely because of the funding of private investors. If we want jobs in America, we need to reward and encourage these investments, not make them the basis of hyperbolic attacks.

Contrary to the failed Obama policies, informed by his experience in the private sector, Mitt Romney has a plan for cutting and capping the government’s spending to bring us balanced budgets. He gets that job creators need less regulation and stable tax policy in order to invest and grow. Romney also understands that when America’s families get back to work, they will have what they need to raise their children and own a home.

I am a Democrat, and I plan to remain a Democrat. But, in this election, I will be voting for the candidate I see best fit to restore our nation to economic greatness. I’m voting for Mitt Romney.

Barney Bishop is a lifelong Democrat, Florida native, and former executive director of the Florida Democratic Party. He recently concluded his tenure as the CEO of Associated Industries of Florida to start Barney Bishop Consulting, and for decades he has been a prominent adviser to leaders in business and government both nationally and in Florida.

Joni Matthews
8:26PM NOV 4TH 2012
Barney, I'm a Republican, I have some friends that are Democrats that are still going to vote for Obama just because they will not go against their party, so I want to thank you for being honest about your thoughts and really seeing what Obama is doing to America. I can tell that you care about our Country and that is what really matters.
kenneth Evans
12:22PM SEP 30TH 2012
i see it the way you do cant take 4 more years
Nathan
10:42AM SEP 14TH 2012
I'm glad Romney has some Democrats supporting him. I may be a Republican but one of my favorite Democrats is Joseph Lieberman, and I wish the Democratic Party followed his policies and values.
Toni n Sauls
6:38PM JUL 23RD 2012
I am also a life long Democrat too. But I will be voting for Mitt Romney this elation.because I feel he has America best interest in hand.
Deb Leavitt
10:11AM JUL 19TH 2012
I don't agree with the fact that Mr. Romney is out of touch of the middle class because he's rich. Obama is worth 10 million dollars and if that isn't rich then I don't know what is. We need to change our direction before it's too late and end up like EU.

Thank you Mr. Bishop, you are the kind of Democrat I use to have faith in. Not so today.
Deb Leavitt
10:11AM JUL 19TH 2012

sidney hines
12:30PM JUL 17TH 2012
I feel I'm voting again on the less of 2 evils. I feel Romney is out of touch with the middle class and I worked for a company Bain (A company Romney ran) bought and my job and others were sent to India.Will Romney efectively represent the middle class and not tax it to death or will he represent the rich which he is a member of. He alson wants to Privatise Mediicare and Social Security letting them be state run. Most states are bankrupt or next to it. All these people would not get the help they need. We need a solution but I don't think it's Romney
Marcie
10:23PM JUL 16TH 2012
Barney, Thank you for being an American Patriot first. I hope you are not alone in your party. I was born & raised in this beautiful state of Florida and this wonderful country but I am watching the fastest decline of a country that once was #1 in everything good. Anyone with any eyes, ears, and a brain to process thoughts can see that we have only 3 may 5 years to right this beautiful ship we call the United States of America. God Bless you, and yours, and ours!
Marcie
10:23PM JUL 16TH 2012
Marcie
10:22PM JUL 16TH 2012
Dave
8:50PM JUL 16TH 2012
I have read most of Mr. Romney's position statements and they need to be more specific with action plans. I don't agree with his stand on Roe and Wade.Not sure how he plans to pay for increased military spending,which Y do not feel we need.More details on immigration reform,tax reform and entitlement reform would help me with my voting decision.Never understood why he was against auto bail out. ZIt did work Want to know is why it is said by Romney that the economy has tanked when stock market has gone from 6000 under Bush to almost 13'000 under Obama and businesses have lots of money.
Kathy Benskin
12:09PM JUL 16TH 2012
I did not vote for Obama in the first place this guy can get away from everything, from his role in Fast and the Furious if that was President Bush they would what him to resin. And Obama still blame Bush if Bush was the President the job market would have came back on it's own. I am going to vote for Mitt Rommey
sidney hines
12:35PM JUL 17TH 2012
Romney is not the solution
. He out sourced my job to India. If you are the CEO a company like Bain is not allowed to do any policy change our out sourceing without your final permission
Andy
1:48PM JUL 17TH 2012
Sorry that happened. There are much larger issues at hand than how you lost you job, and truthfully, if Obama wasn't President, you could probably get another one. But he is... Again, sorry it happened, but Obama is ruining our country, brick by brick. You comments do however fit nicely with the Obama campaigns Hail Mary, and his only hope of winning the election...

That being said "the other guys bad" doesn't work anymore. Obama is a communist loser, and we now know. As the song goes: "We're wise to it this time".
Frank
4:24PM JUL 17TH 2012
You are a clear liar (e.g. Obama is a communist), much like Allen West.

If you don't like that designation, sue me, I and my lawyers will gladly take your money. More demonization and politics of the "Big Lie".
Rafael Ciordia
7:18AM JUL 16TH 2012
Where to begin? Sir - let's begin by defining Nationalizing since your first argument "heavy-handed nationalization of our health care." is your biggest argument. To nationalize I to take ownership lock, stock and barrel of an industry and literally operate it.

Instead, the Affordable Care Act helps private sector business "insurance companies" by increasing their client base. These are currently uninsured folks who might visit an emergency room for urgent care rather than their primary care physician. ACA ensures people pay their own share, and that is fiscally and socially responsible.

Start adding in the many benefits of ACA such as closing the Medicare prescription donut hole, not allowing insurers to deny coverage for pre-existing conditions, the rebate we will get from insurance companies who don't spend 80% of revenues on actual healthcare, coverage for kids up to age 26 under their parent's plans, insurance exchanges to "shop" for affordable plans and expansion of Medicaid for the poorest of the poor...

Now you know why this registered Republican is voting to give President Obama a second term to keep on fighting for the middle class.
Andy
1:59PM JUL 17TH 2012
Sorry, but most Americans didn't want it. They lied about it being a tax... Then they lied about what was in it "we have to pass it, so we know what's in what". It's largest tax increase in American history... the midst of a recession\depression. It was the worst legislation EVER CREATED.

Any registered Republican knows that, and why you're lying about being one. You work for obviously Obbie, and you're doing damage control.
Frank
4:27PM JUL 17TH 2012
There he goes again . . . . easily demonstrated to not be true - "It's largest tax increase in American history". Any more lies?
Oooo
12:33AM JUL 15TH 2012
Go back to the GOP shill
tom kinter
11:52AM JUL 14TH 2012
Thanks Barney you nailed it.
RosaVera
10:49AM JUL 14TH 2012
Thank you for putting our country first and then party affiliation... too many people blindly vote for either party just because they think they must be loyal to the party, forgetting that it is not about the party but about our country, our lives, our American free market system... our loyalties are to our laws of the land, upholding our Constitution and keeping free enterprise alive not socialize our country which has bankrupted Europe and they are all suffering now badly... people of all parties, convictions, race, gender are waking up to the reality that we are a free people and what makes our country great is the freedom to think, imagine and put it to work without the big thumb of the Federal government on our back... God bless you Mr. Bishop and may God and Floridians hear your words.
Elsie Rogers
9:16AM JUL 14TH 2012
Thanks for speaking up.
Bill Jones
8:16AM JUL 14TH 2012
Writer of this article is a known a racist, do I really need to read the rest of the article to figure out why he'll be voting for Romney? lol
brian neeley
4:15AM OCT 19TH 2012
Any time you don't agree with a liberal they automatically call you a racist. They are unable to argue based on facts or records.
Debbie
5:58PM JUL 16TH 2012
He voted for Obama the first time around, so who is the racist. It is people like you when all else fails, lets call them a "racist".
Debbie
5:58PM JUL 16TH 2012
tom kinter
12:15PM JUL 14TH 2012
Ha! Who's the racist whom preys on his own "race" for an election. This president will do and say anything to save his ass, we don't need people in "leadership" positions who think this way.
Veryangry
11:31AM JUL 14TH 2012
Why is it that, when, millions of people do not see eye to eye with Obama, we become Racists???? So can you explain to me what do you call some of us when we do not agree with Bush or Clinton's ways of running our country???? Why? Do you agree with illigal aliens coming to our country and taking our bread and butter from under our noses?? Having medical Insurance for free, when there are millions of American born that do not have it, and they have to choose between paying thei'r rent or buying food.Beacuse Public assistance will not give you a dime if you are above what they so called poverty. I now people on Social Security, hard working people, that worked hard all of their lifes, and live with an imcome of $12.000 a year. Can you live with that?? I don't think so!!!!I could go on and on, but it does not pay, because ignorance is bliss, and hatred even more, try to think as a human been and take out of your haed those feelings of hatred. African Americans were not the only enslaved people in the world, we all went through it one way or another, but we went on with our lives and fought for what was right. I wish you the best and may God bless you always!!!!!
Veryangry
11:31AM JUL 14TH 2012
Gloria Wilson
7:13AM JUL 14TH 2012
How very courageous of you! A true American, putting our country first and party second. I certainly hope there are a lot more of you out there and have every reason to believe there, even if they don't have your chutzpah.
Frank
7:34PM JUL 13TH 2012
Yes, a voice of reason and truthfulness, just like his reasoned observation that "There's no evidence anywhere that offshore drilling has hurt tourism in any area where it has been allowed."

Yes, tell that to the tourism industry in panhandle Florida following the Horizon event in far off Louisiana.

It appears that the last time he voted for a Democratic Presidential candidate was last century.
Carla Courtney
8:52PM JUL 13TH 2012
Frank, Do you have any quotes re: child labor handy? I know there have been a few GOPs who've expressed the desire (besides Newt) to put children to work. Of course at a time when the GOP blocks and filibusters every single jobs bill the Pres tries to put forward.
Bryan Douglas
4:16PM JUL 13TH 2012
A voice of reason! How refreshing.
Meteb AlRasheed
3:35PM JUL 13TH 2012
How can you vote for Romney who wants to adopt the very same G.W.Bush failed policies and giving trillions of unpaid tax cuts to the top 2% with the very proven failed trickle down economics. I wonder what he's hiding in refusing to release his tax returns. That's why McCain rejected him as VP. Give me a break !
jacksfin@aol.com
2:55AM JUL 14TH 2012
Give me a break you don' even know what your saying. Mitt released 1 yr and is releasing this years. Bush did not have failed policies we had great years with 5% U. It is not trillions of dollars of less taxes. That is how small buss grow and get jobs. Obama is the culprit. Did u get the hope and change u were expecting. Do you want your children to inherit
a 16 ormore trillion dollar debt. Do you like seeing America go to pot.
Frank
10:20AM JUL 14TH 2012
Interesting, but misses the issue. Romney has released ONE 2010 tax return and submited an estimate for 2011 (which the rest of us filed last April). For years, all other final presidential candidates have released abot a dozen tax returns.

So this raises the question of what is he hiding, except for not wanting to release 2000, 2001 and 2002 returns which might show he's lying about having no role at Bain (such as receiving salary for being an executive in Bain), or something even more strange.

This won't go away, but like Bain, simply fester with time, as reporters dig out more and more.
Julescator
3:18PM JUL 13TH 2012
Yes - you should vote for the GOP because they only care about businesses and the hell with the PEOPLE of the US. Yes we have so many regulations that Jamie Dimon & JP Morgan can't seem to find the $9 billion they lost. Yep too many regulations. How many drugs has the FDA had to pull off the shelves that were killing us but the Pharmas said - Hey they are great.

Yes you vote for the very party that crashed the economy. That should work. Their trickle down plan has NEVER worked.

BTW - Bill Clinton was lucky to have the explosion of the Dot Com industry. We don't have a new industry because we got lazy and outsourced our manufacturing and our brains. We are not skilled to take the new technology jobs, but yes - that's Obama's fault!

So vote for Mitt and revisit 2000-2008 and have fun. Mitt is running Bush's policies which hurt the American people further and explodes the deficit!
Liz
11:26AM JUL 14TH 2012
Who do you work for and what's your position?
Should the President tell you how to raise your family and tell you how to punish your kids, what to feed them and that you must give them an allowance whether they earned it it not?

Freedom is having the agency to make these choices. If a bank screws up it may fail and as Jamie Dimon put it 'it should fail if it is too weak and should not be bailed out. If a bank or any business cannot stay afloat then it should die because it is not being run correctly and should be erased from our country.
Regulation restricts ingenuity and progress.

Businesses and corporations are run by people who had the desire to succeed and worked very hard to succeed. Businesses and corps employ people like you that do as little as they can and wait for someone to give them a hand out (raise or promotion) without merit or earning it.
These businesses and corporations send jobs overseas because they cannot make a profit here in the US as easily because of the regulations and taxes that prevent them from hiring a good qualified workforce. Yes businesses should be able to make a profit and first and foremost care about their bottom line.
Remember though, businesses are people. Don't you only care about your bottom line? You don't care about the business you work for just that they give you what you feel you deserve and not earned.
dick g
6:15AM JUL 14TH 2012
a typical reply by a brain dead demo.
jacksfin@aol.com
3:00AM JUL 14TH 2012
Jp morgan has nothing to do with obama and his chicago thugs running this country into the ground. You say We are you helping make those epa regulations that keep us from productivity. Because sham on u. You are talking like Obama calling us americans LAZy. Apple google,
Microsoft. Mitt is not even in office yet. We throw stones at him. It was Bush that wanted bank regulations and Barney frank and dems said NO.
Sarah
2:10PM JUL 13TH 2012
"Mitt Romney has a plan for cutting and capping the government’s spending to bring us balanced budgets" Where is the so called plan published?
Bryan Douglas
4:19PM JUL 13TH 2012
Educate yourself: Go to Mittromney.com and look at spending under "issues". You'll see his detailed plan there.
Gloria Wilson
7:19AM JUL 14TH 2012
Good for you, Bryan. Unfortunately that is a typical democrat response without even bothering to investigate the facts. This is why we have to be so concerned for our country and the next election. There are so many of them who are perfectly content to wallow in their misconceptions that were fed to them by our disgraceful media.
Sarah
8:42PM JUL 13TH 2012
I have read this section on mittromney.com, I want specifics. His details add up to approx 315B but he says he will cut 500B per year by 2016. Where is the rest? And why would you cut 600M in subsidies for arts and humanities and public broadcasting but make no cuts to the subsidies to the billion dollar oil tycoons? Things just don't add up with Mitt. While I don't agree with everything Obama has done, my personal opinion is that Obama is the lesser of 2 evils.
jacksfin@aol.com
3:05AM JUL 14TH 2012
Get real Obama is the evil. OMG I want details. Why don; you ask Obama for some. Obama picks out oil and emonizes what businesss he want. They get the same tax subsidides as google an microsoft and others. Who does he think he is calling out american. Oil employs millions of jobs. Of course obama called for no keystone as well as doing everything else to kill jobs. businesses, giving away are oil in waters. Now the guns treaty. He want s to control everythinng and taking away our liberties. Who is evil Mitt is a great moral person.
Carla Courtney
2:36PM JUL 13TH 2012
Sarah, it's probably the Ryan budget plan.
Carla Courtney
1:24PM JUL 13TH 2012
Steven Tidd makes a very good point. What troubles me is the fact that so many people don't understand what the Republican talking points actually mean. The free-market system is all well and good; however, that system has failed in many cases when applied to previously governmental run functions, e.g. prisons. Now they want to apply the system to health care. They want to "privatize" all education and social services. Tell me this: how the hell are the poor supposed to pay for health care, pay for education, and give up eating (with the elimination of food stamps)? Oh, and let's not forget the well-planned push to end not only a woman's right to choose, but multiple "personhood" bills that would make many forms of birth control illegal! Here's their agenda: Eliminate minimum-wage standards (and some child labor laws); eliminate birth control; eliminate government assistance; control of government through big money; eliminate education except for the very wealthy. Why you ask would they want to do all this? It's obvious: CHEAP LABOR! Don't allow this party to enslave Americans. Don't believe the rhetoric. Research the truth.
Julescator
3:19PM JUL 13TH 2012
Amen!
Kaye
3:19PM JUL 13TH 2012
First of all, we already have programs in place for the poor to receive health care – states are spending 20-25% of their entire budget to fund these programs. Secondly, there’s no reason why people can’t work their way through college. Why should I subsidize someone else’s desire to further their education? Ah, the right to choose - a clever phrase for the right to murder an unborn child. Have you ever seen an abortion and what’s done to the baby (check out partial birth abortions)? Maybe you should do a little research on that and if you still don’t have a problem with it I would have to say you have no conscience. Abortions weren’t meant to be a form of birth control. Nobody is pushing to make birth control illegal. That’s absurd. But again, why should I subsidize someone’s birth control? That’s the responsibility of the person wanting it, not mine. I have no problem with eliminating the minimum wage laws. Not sure what child labor laws you’re referring to but I know the Amish and farmers have their kids doing work for them. I have no problem with that either. They learn many valuable lessons in the process. Nobody wants to eliminate government assistance but it should only be for those truly in need, but there’s a lot of fraud and abuse associated with these programs and not enough oversight. The people who are enslaved are the people dependent on the government to house them, feed them and think for them.
Carla Courtney
3:59PM JUL 13TH 2012
Kaye, There's more fraud and abuse associated with corporations and banks and a lot more money involved. Re birth control: you must not be aware of the many states such as MS who haved tried to pass "personhood" bills -- which would make birth control such as the pill illegal because the bills establish that life begins at conception and anything that would terminate conception would be illegal. I don't know about you, but I would much rather pay for someone's contraception that the support of their children. Further, it is my opinion that anyone who would force anti-abortion laws on others, had better have adopted at least one unwanted child. See, the GOP doesn't want programs to feed or educate those children or give their parents a decent living wage. Their and your stance is that it is their fault for being in their position. How about this instead of abortions: Mandated vasectomies for all males of child-bearing age until they can prove that 1) they want to be a father to the child, and 2) they will financially support the child? We have a much larger problem with deadbeat dads than we do with abortions. By the way, Kaye, how about the single mom who wants to go to school so she can afford to support her kids? Do you even have a clue what the cost of college is or what is going on in the world?